Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Sea of Monsters - Chapter 2


Chapter 2

 I PLAY DODGEBALL
 WITH CANNIBALS
 
 My day started normal. Or as normal as it ever gets at Meriwether College Prep.
 See, it's this "progressive" school in downtown Man-hattan, which means we sit on beanbag chairs
instead of at desks, and we don't get grades, and the teachers wear jeans and rock concert T-shirts to
work.
 That's all cool with me. I mean, I'm ADHD and dys-lexic, like most half-bloods, so I'd never done that
great in regular schools even before they kicked me out. The only bad thing about Meriwether was that
the teachers always looked on the bright side of things, and the kids weren't always ... well, bright.
 Take my first class today: English. The whole middle school had read this book called Lord of the Flies,
where all these kids get marooned on an island and go psycho. So for our final exam, our teachers sent
us into the break yard to spend an hour with no adult supervision to see what would happen. What
happened was a massive wedgie contest between the seventh and eighth graders, two pebble fights, and
a full-tackle basketball game. The school bully, Matt Sloan, led most of those activities.
 Sloan wasn't big or strong, but he acted like he was. He had eyes like a pit bull, and shaggy black hair,
and he always dressed in expensive but sloppy clothes, like he wanted everybody to see how little he
cared about his family's money. One of his front teeth was chipped from the time he'd taken his daddy's
Generated  b y ABC Amb er LIT Converter, http://w ww.p rocesstext.com/abclit.html
Porsche for a joyride and run into a PLEASE SLOW DOWN FOR CHILDREN sign.
 Anyway, Sloan was giving everybody wedgies until he made the mistake of trying it on my friend Tyson.
 Tyson was the only homeless kid at Meriwether College Prep. As near as my mom and I could figure,
he'd been aban-doned by his parents when he was very young, probably because he was so ... different.
He was six-foot-three and built like the Abominable Snowman, but he cried a lot and was scared of just
about everything, including his own reflection. His face was kind of misshapen and brutal-looking. I
couldn't tell you what color his eyes were, because I could never make myself look higher than his
crooked teeth. His voice was deep, but he talked funny, like a much younger kid—I guess because he'd
never gone to school before coming toMeriwether. He wore tattered jeans, grimy size-twenty sneakers,
and a plaid flannel shirt with holes in it. He smelled like a New York City alleyway, because that's where
he lived, in a cardboard refrigerator box off 72nd Street.
 Meriwether Prep had adopted him as a community service project so all the students could feel good
about themselves. Unfortunately, most of them couldn't stand Tyson. Once they discovered he was a big
softie, despite his massive strength and his scary looks, they made themselves feel good by picking on
him. I was pretty much his only friend, which meant he wasmy only friend.
 My mom had complained to the school a million times that they weren't doing enough to help him. She'd
called social services, but nothing ever seemed to happen. The social workers claimed Tyson didn't exist.
They swore up and down that they'd visited the alley we described and couldn't find him, though how
you miss a giant kid living in a refrigerator box, I don't know.
 Anyway, Matt Sloan snuck up behind him and tried to give him a wedgie, and Tyson panicked. He
swatted Sloan away a little too hard. Sloan flew fifteen feet and got tangled in the little kids' tire swing.
 "You freak!" Sloan yelled. "Why don't you go back to your cardboard box!"
 Tyson started sobbing. He sat down on the jungle gym so hard he bent the bar, and buried his head in
his hands.
 "Take it back, Sloan!" I shouted.
 Sloan just sneered at me. "Why do you even bother, Jackson? You might have friends  if you weren't
always stick-ing up for that freak."
 I balled my fists. I hoped my face wasn't as red as it felt. "He's not a freak. He's just..."
 I tried to think of the right thing to say, but Sloan wasn't listening. He and his big ugly friends were too
busy laughing. I wondered if it were my imagination, or if Sloan had more goons hanging around him than
usual. I was used to seeing him with two or three, but today he had like, half a dozen more, and I was
pretty sure I'd never seen them before.
 "Just wait till PE, Jackson," Sloan called. "You areso  dead."
 When first period ended, our English teacher, Mr. de Milo, came outside to inspect the carnage. He
pronounced that we'd understood Lord of the Flies  perfectly. We all passed his course, and we should
never, never grow up to be violent people. Matt Sloan nodded earnestly, then gave me a chip-toothed
grin.
Generated  b y ABC Amb er LIT Converter, http://w ww.p rocesstext.com/abclit.html
 I had to promise to buy Tyson an extra peanut butter sandwich at lunch to get him to stop sobbing.
 "I ... I am a freak?" he asked me.
 "No," I promised, gritting my teeth. "Matt Sloan is the freak."
 Tyson sniffled. "You are a good friend. Miss you next year if ... if I can't ..."
 His voice trembled. I realized he didn't know if he'd be invited back next year for the community service
project. I wondered if the headmaster had even bothered talking to him about it.
 "Don't worry, big guy," I managed. "Everything's going to be fine."
 Tyson gave me such a grateful look I felt like a big liar. How could I promise a kid like him that anything
would be fine?
 
 Our next exam was science. Mrs. Tesla told us that we had to mix chemicals until we succeeded in
making something explode, Tyson was my lab partner. His hands were way too big for the tiny vials we
were supposed to use. He accidentally knocked a tray of chemicals off the counter and made an orange
mushroom cloud in the trash can.
 After Mrs. Tesla evacuated the lab and called the haz-ardous waste removal squad, she praised Tyson
and me for being natural chemists. We were the first ones who'd ever aced her exam in under thirty
seconds.
 I was glad the morning went fast, because it  kept me from thinking too much about my problems. I
couldn't stand the idea that something might be wrong at camp. Even worse, I couldn't shake the memory
of my bad dream. I had a terrible feeling that Grover was in danger.
 In social studies, while we were drawing latitude/longi-tude maps, I opened my notebook and stared at
the photo inside—my friend Annabeth on vacation in Washington, D.C. She was wearing jeans and a
denim jacket over her orange Camp Half-Blood T-shirt. Her blond hair was pulled back in a bandanna.
She was standing in front of the Lincoln Memorial with her arms crossed, looking extremely pleased with
herself, like she'd personally designed the place. See, Annabeth wants to be an architect when she grows
up, so she's always visiting famous monuments and stuff. She's weird that way. She'd e-mailed me the
picture after spring break, and every once in a while I'd look at it just to remind myself she was real and
Camp Half-Blood hadn't just been my imagination.
 I wished Annabeth were here. She'd know what to make of my dream. I'd never admit it to her, but she
was smarter than me, even if she was annoying sometimes.
 I was about to close my notebook when Matt Sloan reached over and ripped the photo out of the rings.
 "Hey!" I protested.
 Sloan checked out the picture and his eyes got wide. "No way, Jackson. Who is that? She is not
your—"
 "Give it back!" My ears felt hot.
Generated  b y ABC Amb er LIT Converter, http://w ww.p rocesstext.com/abclit.html
 Sloan handed the photo to his ugly buddies, who snick-ered and started ripping it up to make spit wads.
They were new kids who must've been visiting, because they were all wearing those stupid HI! MY
NAME IS: tags from the admis-sions office. They must've had a weird sense of humor, too, because
they'd all filled in strange names like: MARROW SUCKER, SKULL EATER, and JOE BOB. No
human beings had names like that.
 "These guys are moving here next year," Sloan bragged, like that was supposed to scare me. "I bet they
canpay the tuition, too, unlike your retard friend."
 "He's not retarded." I had to try really, really hard not to punch Sloan in the face.
 "You're such a loser, Jackson. Good thing I'm gonna put you out of your misery next period."
 His huge buddies chewed up my photo. I wanted to pulverize them, but I was under strict orders from
Chiron never to take my anger out on regular mortals, no matter how obnoxious they were. I had to save
my fighting for monsters.
 Still, part of me thought, if Sloan only knew who I really was ...
 The bell rang.
 As Tyson and I were leaving class, a girl's voice whispered, "Percy!"
 I looked around the locker area, but nobody was paying me any attention. Like any girl at Meriwether
would ever be caught dead calling my name.
 Before I had time to consider whether or not I'd been imagining things, a crowd of kids rushed for the
gym, carrying Tyson and me along with them. It was time for PE. Our coach had promised us a
free-for-all dodgeball game, and Matt Sloan had promised to kill me.
 
 The gym uniform at Meriwether is sky blue shorts and tie-dyed T-shirts. Fortunately, we did most of our
athletic stuff inside, so we didn't have to jog through Tribeca looking like a bunch of boot-camp hippie
children.
 I changed as quickly as I could in the locker room because I didn't want to deal with Sloan. I was about
to leave when Tyson called, "Percy?"
 He hadn't changed yet. He was standing by the weight room door, clutching his gym clothes. "Will you
... uh ..."
 "Oh. Yeah." I tried not to sound aggravated about it. "Yeah, sure, man."
 Tyson ducked inside the weight room. I stood guard outside the door while he changed. I felt kind of
awkward doing this, but he asked me to most days. I think it's because he's completely hairy and he's got
weird scars on his back that I've never had the courage to ask him about.
 Anyway, I'd learned the hard way that if people teased Tyson while he was dressing out, he'd get upset
and start ripping the doors off lockers.
Generated  b y ABC Amb er LIT Converter, http://w ww.p rocesstext.com/abclit.html
 When we got into the gym, Coach Nunley was sitting at his little desk readingSports Illustrated. Nunley
was about a million years old, with bifocals and no teeth and a greasy wave of gray hair. He reminded me
of the Oracle at Camp Half-Blood—which was a shriveled-up mummy—except Coach Nunley moved a
lot less and he never billowed green smoke. Well, at least not that I'd observed.
 Matt Sloan said, "Coach, can I be captain?"
 "Eh?" Coach Nunley looked up from his magazine. "Yeah," he mumbled. "Mm-hmm."
 Sloan grinned and took charge of the picking. He made me the other team's captain, but it didn't matter
who I picked, because all the jocks and the popular kids moved over to Sloan's side. So did the big
group of visitors.
 On my side I had Tyson, Corey Bailer the computer geek, Raj Mandali the calculus whiz, and a half
dozen other kids who always got harassed by Sloan and his gang. Normally I would've been okay with
just Tyson—he was worth half a team all by himself—but the visitors on Sloan's team were almost as tall
and strong-looking as Tyson, and there were six of them.
 Matt Sloan spilled a cage full of balls in the middle of the gym.
 "Scared," Tyson mumbled. "Smell funny."
 I looked at him. "What smells funny?" Because I didn't figure he was talking about himself.
 "Them." Tyson pointed at Sloan's new friends. "Smell funny."
 The visitors were cracking their knuckles, eyeing us like it was slaughter time. I couldn't help wondering
where they were from. Someplace where they fed kids raw meat and beat them with sticks.
 Sloan blew the coach's whistle and the game began. Sloan's team ran for the center line. On my side,
Raj Mandali yelled something in Urdu, probably "I have to go potty!" and ran for the exit. Corey Bailer
tried to crawl behind the wall mat and hide. The rest of my team did their best to cower in fear and not
look like targets.
 "Tyson," I said. "Let's g—"
 A ball slammed into my gut. I sat down hard in the mid-dle of the gym floor. The other team exploded in
laughter.
 My eyesight was fuzzy. I felt like I'd just gotten the Heimlich maneuver from a gorilla. I couldn't believe
any-body could throw that hard.
 Tyson yelled, "Percy, duck!"
 I rolled as another dodgeball whistled past my ear at the speed of sound.
 Whooom!
 It hit the wall mat, and Corey Bailer yelped.
Generated  b y ABC Amb er LIT Converter, http://w ww.p rocesstext.com/abclit.html
 "Hey!" I yelled at Sloan's team. "You could kill some-body!"
 The visitor named Joe Bob grinned at me evilly. Somehow, he looked a lot bigger now ... even taller
than Tyson. His biceps bulged beneath his T-shirt. "I hope so, Perseus Jackson! I hope so!"
 The way he said my name sent a chill down my back. Nobody called me Perseus except those who
knew my true identity. Friends ... and enemies.
 What had Tyson said? They smell funny.
 Monsters.
 All around Matt Sloan, the visitors were growing in size. They were no longer kids. They were
eight-foot-tall giants with wild eyes, pointy teeth, and hairy arms tattooed with snakes and hula women
and Valentine hearts.
 Matt Sloan dropped his ball. "Whoa! You're not from Detroit! Who ..."
 The other kids on his team started screaming and back-ing toward the exit, but the giant named Marrow
Sucker threw a ball with deadly accuracy. It streaked past Raj Mandali just as he was about to leave and
hit the door, slamming it shut like magic. Raj and some of the other kids banged on it desperately but it
wouldn't budge.
 "Let them go!" I yelled at the giants.
 The one called Joe Bob growled at me. He had a tattoo on his biceps that said : JB luvs Babycakes.
"And lose our tasty morsels? No, Son of the Sea God. We Laistrygonians aren't just playing for your
death. We want lunch!"
 He waved his hand and a new batch of dodgeballs appeared on the center line—but these balls weren't
made of red rubber. They were bronze, the size of cannon balls, perforated like wiffle balls with fire
bubbling out the holes. They must've been searing hot, but the giants picked them up with their bare
hands.
 "Coach!" I yelled.
 Nunley looked up sleepily, but if he saw anything abnormal about the dodgeball game, he didn't let on.
That's the problem with mortals. A magical force called the Mist obscures the true appearance of
monsters and gods from their vision, so mortals tend to see only what they can understand. Maybe the
coach saw a few eighth graders pounding the younger kids like usual. Maybe the other kids saw Matt
Sloan's thugs getting ready to toss Molotov cock-tails around. (It wouldn't have been the first time.) At
any rate, I was pretty sure nobody else realized we were dealing with genuine man-eating bloodthirsty
monsters.
 "Yeah. Mm-hmm," Coach muttered. "Play nice."
 And he went back to his magazine.
 The giant named Skull Eater threw his ball. I dove aside as the fiery bronze comet sailed past my
shoulder.
Generated  b y ABC Amb er LIT Converter, http://w ww.p rocesstext.com/abclit.html
 "Corey!" I screamed.
 Tyson pulled him out from behind the exercise mat just as the ball exploded against it, blasting the mat to
smoking shreds.
 "Run!" I told my teammates. "The other exit!"
 They ran for the locker room, but with another wave of Joe Bob's hand, that door also slammed shut.
 "No one leaves unless you're out!" Joe Bob roared. "And you're not out until we eat you!"
 He launched his own fireball. My teammates scattered as it blasted a crater in the gym floor.
 I reached for Riptide, which I always kept in my pocket, but then I realized I was wearing gym shorts. I
had no pockets. Riptide was tucked in my jeans inside my gym locker. And the locker room door was
sealed. I was com-pletely defenseless.
 Another fireball came streaking toward me. Tyson pushed me out of the way, but the explosion still blew
me head over heels. I found myself sprawled on the gym floor, dazed from smoke, my tie-dyed T-shirt
peppered with sizzling holes. Just across the center line, two hungry giants were glaring down at me.
 "Flesh!" they bellowed. "Hero flesh for lunch!" They both took aim.
 "Percy needs help!" Tyson yelled, and he jumped in front of me just as they threw their balls.
 "Tyson!" I screamed, but it was too late.
 Both balls slammed into him ... but no ... he'd caught them. Somehow Tyson, who was so clumsy he
knocked over lab equipment and broke playground structures on a regu-lar basis, had caught two fiery
metal balls speeding toward him at a zillion miles an hour. He sent them hurtling back toward their
surprised owners, who screamed, "BAAAAAD!" as the bronze spheres exploded against their chests.
 The giants disintegrated in twin columns of flame—a sure sign they were monsters, all right. Monsters
don't die. They just dissipate into smoke and dust, which saves heroes a lot of trouble cleaning up after a
fight.
 "My brothers!" Joe Bob the Cannibal wailed. He flexed his muscles and his Babycakes tattoo rippled.
"You will pay for their destruction!"
 "Tyson!" I said. "Look out!"
 Another comet hurtled toward us. Tyson just had time to swat it aside. It flew straight over Coach
Nunley's head and landed in the bleachers with a huge KA-BOOM!
 Kids were running around screaming, trying to avoid the sizzling craters in the floor. Others were banging
on the door, calling for help. Sloan himself stood petrified in the middle of the court, watching in disbelief
as balls of death flew around him.
 Coach Nunley still wasn't seeing anything. He tapped his hearing aid like the explosions were giving him
interfer-ence, but he kept his eyes on his magazine.
Generated  b y ABC Amb er LIT Converter, http://w ww.p rocesstext.com/abclit.html
 Surely the whole school could hear the noise. The head-master, the police, somebody would come help
us.
 "Victory will be ours!" roared Joe Bob the Cannibal. "We will feast on your bones!"
 I wanted to tell him he was taking the dodgeball game way too seriously, but before I could, he hefted
another ball. The other three giants followed his lead.
 I knew we were dead. Tyson couldn't deflect all those balls at once. His hands had to be seriously
burned from blocking the first volley. Without my sword ...
 I had a crazy idea.
 I ran toward the locker room.
 "Move!" I told my teammates. "Away from the door."
 Explosions behind me. Tyson had batted two of the balls back toward their owners and blasted them to
ashes.
 That left two giants still standing.      
 A third ball hurtled straight at me. I forced myself to wait—one Mississippi, two Mississippi—then dove
aside as the fiery sphere demolished the locker room door.
 Now, I figured that the built-up gas in most boys' locker rooms was enough to cause an explosion, so I
wasn't surprised when the flaming dodgeball ignited a huge WHOOOOOOOM!
 The wall blew apart. Locker doors, socks, athletic sup-porters, and other various nasty personal
belongings rained all over the gym.
 I turned just in time to see Tyson punch Skull Eater in the face. The giant crumpled. But the last giant,
Joe Bob, had wisely held on to his own ball, waiting for an opportunity. He threw just as Tyson was
turning to face him.
 "No!" I yelled.
 The ball caught Tyson square in the chest. He slid the length of the court and slammed into the back
wall, which cracked and partially crumbled on top of him, making a hole right onto Church Street. I didn't
see how Tyson could still be alive, but he only looked dazed. The bronze ball was smoking at his feet.
Tyson tried to pick it up, but he fell back, stunned, into a pile of cinder blocks.
 "Well!" Joe Bob gloated. "I'm the last one standing! I'll have enough meat to bring Babycakes a doggie
bag!"
 He picked up another ball and aimed it at Tyson.
 "Stop!" I yelled. "It's me you want!"
 The giant grinned. "You wish to die first, young hero?"
Generated  b y ABC Amb er LIT Converter, http://w ww.p rocesstext.com/abclit.html
 I had to do something. Riptide had to be around here somewhere.
 Then I spotted my jeans in a smoking heap of clothes right by the giant's feet. If I could only get there....
I knew it was hopeless, but I charged.
 The giant laughed. "My lunch approaches." He raised his arm to throw. I braced myself to die.
 Suddenly the giant's body went rigid. His expression changed from gloating to surprise. Right where his
belly button should've been, his T-shirt ripped open and he grew something like a horn—no, not a
horn—the glowing tip of a blade.
 The ball dropped out of his hand. The monster stared down at the knife that had just run him through
from behind.
 He muttered, "Ow," and burst into a cloud of green flame, which I figured was going to make Babycakes
pretty upset.
 Standing in the smoke was my friend Annabeth. Her face was grimy and scratched. She had a ragged
backpack slung over her shoulder, her baseball cap tucked in her pocket, a bronze knife in her hand, and
a wild look in her storm-gray eyes, like she'd just been chased a thousand miles by ghosts.
 Matt Sloan, who'd been standing there dumbfounded the whole time, finally came to his senses. He
blinked at Annabeth, as if he dimly recognized her from my notebook picture. "That's the girl ... That's the
girl—"
 Annabeth punched him in the nose and knocked him flat. "And you," she told him, "lay off my friend."
 The gym was in flames. Kids were still running around screaming. I heard sirens wailing and a garbled
voice over the intercom. Through the glass windows of the exit doors, I could see the headmaster, Mr.
Bonsai, wres-tling with the lock, a crowd of teachers piling up behind him.
 "Annabeth ..." I stammered. "Howdid you ... how long have you ..."
 "Pretty much all morning." She sheathed her bronze knife. "I've been trying to find a good time to talk to
you, but you were never alone."
 "The shadow I saw this morning—that was—" My face felt hot. "Oh my gods, you were looking in my
bed-room window?"
 "There's no time to explain!" she snapped, though she looked a little red-faced herself. "I just didn't want
to —"
 "There!" a woman screamed. The doors burst open and the adults came pouring in.
 "Meet me outside," Annabeth told me. "And him." She pointed to Tyson, who was still sitting dazed
against the wall. Annabeth gave him a look of distaste that I didn't quite understand. "You'd better bring
him."
 "What?"
 "No time!" she said. "Hurry!"
Generated  b y ABC Amb er LIT Converter, http://w ww.p rocesstext.com/abclit.html
 She put on her Yankees baseball cap, which was a magic gift from her mom, and instantly vanished.
 That left me standing alone in the middle of the burn-ing gymnasium when the headmaster came charging
in with half the faculty and a couple of police officers.
 "Percy Jackson?" Mr. Bonsai said. "What ... how ..."
 Over by the broken wall, Tyson groaned and stood up from the pile of  cinder blocks. "Head hurts."
 Matt Sloan was coming around, too. He focused on me with a look of terror. "Percy did it, Mr. Bonsai!
He set the whole building on fire. Coach Nunley will tell you! He saw it all!"
 Coach Nunley had been dutifully reading his magazine, but just my luck—he chose that moment to look
up when Sloan said his name. "Eh? Yeah. Mm-hmm."
 The other adults turned toward me. I knew they would never believe me, even if I could tell them the
truth.
 I grabbed Riptide out of my ruined jeans, told Tyson, "Come on!" and jumped through the gaping hole in
the side of the building.

12 comments:

  1. U are so sexual inappropriate so f you

    ReplyDelete
  2. pls do not make innapropriate comments

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far onley three people are percy's enimeys Nancy bobfit. Clarssia and solan. (i am a bad speller.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theres nancy in the first book, Clarisse isn't technically an enemy, luke is the main antagonist, kronos who is also the main antagonist, and finally Ares, who has a grudge against Percy.

      Delete
  4. 17 and a half and still reading Percy Jackson. One of the best books of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #LOVETHIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!





    ReplyDelete